Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I am a beginner

Aren't I?

I started knitting about a year ago, and took a 2-month hiatus for certain pressing reasons. That means I've been knitting for about 10 months. That qualifies me as a beginner, doesn't it?

I can knit, and I can purl. I can tell the difference between the two. I can cast on (a couple of different ways), and I can bind off. I can increase and decrease in multiple ways. I know what to do if my needles fall out of my work without panicking (although it annoys me greatly), and after replacing my needles, I can tell when a stitch is twisted. I can knit in the round on circulars and on double-pointed needles, in jogless stripes no less. I think short row shaping is much easier than it sounds. I can recognize mistakes, and prefer to fix them by running a ladder and then using a crochet hook. I can add the simplest of modifications (a ribbing edge here, an intarsia stripe there) to certain patterns. As for finishing, I weave in all my ends, and am comfortable with kitchener stitching and mattress stitching. I can felt and do some easy blocking.

So maybe I oughtn't call myself a beginner anymore.

But. I have never done a project for which I've needed to knit a gauge swatch. The idea of knitting from a graphic pattern (like that for the Mariah cardigan on my sidebar) is daunting to me. The thought of making a garment that requires calculations involving gauge, fit, and ease fills me with dismay. I don't even aspire to try making complex fair isle patterns; it just doesn't appeal to me. I never wanted to be an expert knitter to begin with. I just wanted a scarf.

I suppose this lands me squarely in the intermediate category of knitting expertise. But you know what? I want to be a beginner. That's how I am with most things. I like having that label to blame for any ignorance, mistakes, and inexperience that I and my projects display.

So I'll keep calling myself a beginner until I don't feel like one anymore. Or until I end up teaching someone to knit. Or until I make something that someone mistakes for storebought. How does that sound?

2 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger MAM said...

haha, beginner you are not. ok, maybe in outlook, but not in heart. I would like to point out some *aghem* previous posts, where a certain would-be beginner declares she would rather knit than eat. Now this says nothing of your ability but loads about your true desires.

I've been there. would rather knit than socialize. would rather knit than watch a movie. would rather knit than eat. but i feel i am safe while i would still take sex over knitting.

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger CamoBunny said...

I should have added to that list, "I am a beginner until someone else who knits tells me that I am not one."

I am now officially a knitter. I'm not learning to knit; I knit. I'm an average ordinary knitter. There, I said it. That wasn't so hard.

But... but... well, I guess all I've got is this blog and a yarn stash to show for it. And you know what? That's okay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home