Thursday, May 04, 2006

Superstition

I was never superstitious before. I'm still not really superstitious. But.

I've started half-jokingly participating in some superstitious thingies at work. For example, at work, you do not, repeat, do NOT say the full name of a chronic patient out loud. Do so, and within a few days that patient will be admitted, and you will probably have to take care of him/her. You also never talk about how well the night is going, and you NEVER say that it is (whispering) "quiet" (shudder). All hell will break loose if you do. But if you knock on wood (we usually use our heads), the effect will be mitigated somewhat.

The superstition I'm thinking of is a mild one. It's more like a Murphy's law type of thing, I guess. It is that if you expect it to be slow and bring something to do, it will be extremely busy. "Busy" in a hospital is not good, because what it means is that people are very sick.

And so I was going to announce that today! Today's the day I bring my knitting in to work because I'll probably have some down time, meaning I can make some significant progress. Last time I did watch all of "Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit" without being interrupted, after all. Complete with commercial breaks. And not a single page. Not a one. (Loved the movie by the way. Mostly because I am a sucker for movies about kids getting interested in music. Oh, and I loved it despite the fact that I am completely trounced upon by the fourteen-year old boys who can sing the same solos I do and do it way way WAY better, with improv, mordents, whistle tones, and an incredible amount of soul.)

BUT.

NO! I am not going to make such an announcement. I am going to say, no, it will probably be insanely busy and I probably won't be able to even eat or sit down or even go pee, not once during the entire sixteen hour shift! Because sometimes (read: often) that actually happens. And this way if it doesn't happen, I can be pleased. And if it does, I won't be disappointed that I didn't get to knit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home